How to apply | Residential aged care | Short-term care | What help is available

At this page you can apply to the Árpád waiting list.
It also helps you to understand the process for moving into Arpad Aged Care

Apply now

You can either download and send us your signed Application Form or
fill it in online


Download, print, fill in and send the signed Árpád waiting List Application Form to

Online form

Fill in the Árpád waiting List
Application Form online

Application process

Moving into an aged care home can often be a difficult and emotional decision. This page aims to help older people, families and carers understand the process for moving into Arpad Aged Care home. It outlines five steps to follow and what to do at each step. We are here to help you. If you have any questions contact us on phone 98010855 or click ‘Download application form’ button and fill in the form.
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Assessing eligibility
You will first need an assessment with a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team - ACAS
Finding an aged care home
Visit a few different homes. See what the accommodation is like, and what types of care, services and activities they offer.
Calculate the costs
When moving into an aged care home you may be asked to pay towards your care, accommodation and daily living costs.
Applying to an aged care home
When a home becomes available, the we will contact you or your nominated contact person.
Living in an aged care home
You’ll get to decide what you want to do each day and have control over your personal matters.

How to apply

Moving into an aged care home can be a difficult and emotional decision. We aim to try to help you to make it as easy as possible.

What is residential aged care?

Residential aged care is for older people who for a variety of reasons can no longer live at home. Those reasons can include illness, disability, bereavement, an emergency, the changing needs of their carer, family or friends, or because it is no longer possible to manage at home without help. Australia’s aged care system aims to ensure that all older people receive support and quality care when they need it. Living or staying in an aged care home is all about making sure that you receive the care that you need, whether you just need help with day to day tasks, assistance with personal care, or 24-hour nursing care. Aged care homes are owned and operated by people or organizations that have the approval of the Australian Government to care for you.

Residential aged care can be offered as either permanent or short-term care. Short-term care in an aged care home is called residential respite care. If you or the person you care for needs less care than that offered by aged care homes you may wish to consider independent living units or retirement villages. These residential communities offer a range of services for independent older people, and are regulated by state and territory governments.

What types of care and services are available?
  • Aged care homes can help you with: day-to-day tasks (such as cleaning, cooking, laundry)
  • personal care (such as dressing, grooming, going to the toilet)
  • 24-hour care under the supervision of a registered nurse
  • or accessing a variety of additional services such as physiotherapy (exercises, mobility, strength and balance) or podiatry (foot care).

What short-term care is available?

If you’re caring for someone who still lives in their own home, you may occasionally need to take a short break. This could involve anything from a few days to a few weeks off to attend a wedding or other event, to go on a holiday or to just generally take some time for yourself. You may also need help if you are unwell or unable to provide care for any other reason. If the person you care for needs help on a day-to-day basis, they may need to have a short stay in an aged care home while you have a break. This is called residential respite care and can happen on a planned or emergency basis. Once you are back from your break, the person you care for will also return home.

Residential respite care is also available in an extra-service aged care home. However, the aged care home must be approved to provide extra-service care. You will, however, have to pay any extra service costs. The person you care for may access residential respite care for up to 63 days each financial year. This time can be extended in lots of 21 days if an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment finds that this extra time is necessary. The availability of services varies from region to region, and the assessment of the person you care for will determine their needs in line with what help is available in your area. If you need emergency respite care, phone your local Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre on 1800 052 222 during business hours or 1800 059 059 outside business hours.

What help is available for people with diverse needs?

If you’re an older person, or you care for an older person, you may have certain needs specific to your background. The Australian Government provides aged care services for all members of the community and, depending on your circumstances, there may be services that cater specially for you. There is information to help make living easier for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people; people from culturally or linguistically diverse backgrounds; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex; or care leavers. Support is also offered to veterans, people who are financially disadvantaged, people living with a disability and those living in remote or rural areas. For more information on services for people with diverse needs, go to My Aged Care or call us on.